Akufo-Addo shuts down schools at all levels in the interest of public safety. President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has directed the management of schools in the country to shut down effective Monday, March 16, 2020, until further notice.
The President gave the order when he addressed the nation on Sunday.
He said, “All universities, Senior High Schools and basic schools ie public and private schools, will be closed Monday, March 16, 2020, till further notice. The Ministry of Education, in collaboration with the Ministry of Communication, has been tasked to roll out distance learning programmes.”
The President added that “BECE and WASSCE candidates will be allowed to attend school to prepare for their examinations but with prescribed social distancing protocols.”
Government bans church activities, funerals, other public gatherings
President Akufo-Addo as part of his address put a ban on all public gatherings including conference, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies and church activities and related events as part of measures to stop the spread of coronavirus in the country.
He said the ban will be in force for the next four weeks.
“I have decided in the interest of public safety and the protection of our population to review the public gathering advisories earlier announced as follows. Firstly, all public gatherings including conferences, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies, sporting events and religious activities, such as services in churches and mosques, have been suspended for the next four (4) weeks. Private burials are permitted, but with limited numbers, not exceeding twenty-five (25) in attendance,” the President said.
Take note of the following
- BECE and WASSCE will be in school but must maintain the required distance between students.
- all public gatherings including conferences, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies, and church activities have been suspended.
- All universities, Senior High Schools and basic schools ie public and private schools closed now.
- All are to observe the safety measures put in place
- Avoid all public gatherings
- Akufo-Addo shuts down schools in the interest of public safety.
Source: www.ghanaweb.com | newsghana24