Prostate Cancer is said to be cancer suffered only be men and it is the most common too. The prostate gland is located below the bladder and in front of the rectum. The prostate gland can be found just below the bladder in front of the rectum.
This cancer occurs in the prostate gland which looks like a walnut. It is responsible for the production of seminal fluid that helps transport sperms. It provides nourishment for it as well and helps in urine control in men. According to zerocancer.org one American man in every Nine will suffer from prostate cancer.
Ghana according to statistics on prostate cancer, has one of the highest prevalence rate. 1 in 5 Ghanaian men will get Prostate Cancer in their lifetime (MHFG 2015). According to Prostate Cancer UK (2014), 1 in 4 black men will get Prostate Cancer in their lifetime.
In THE NATIONAL STRATEGY FOR CANCER CONTROL IN GHANA 2011-2016, the 58th World Health Assembly (WHA) called all member states to work hard and intensify efforts against all forms of cancer. the development and reinforcement critical cancer control programmes to help reduce the incidence and mortality rate. The report revealed that Cancer cases reported in our health facilities are increasing others
Prostate Cancer starts slowly and affects only the prostate gland. Aggressive prostate cancer spread so fast and are more harmful. Research has revealed that early detection, while the cancer is in the prostate gland, is the best time to treat it successfully.
Facts about prostate cancer
- The prostate gland is one of the important glands that contribute to the effective functioning of the male reproductive system.
- Prostate cancer has been confirmed by researches commonest cancer that affects men.
- When Prostate cancer is diagnosed early, it is easy to treat.
- Problems with urination is a common symptom of the health problem.
- Regular screening helps to detect it early for the needed medical attention.
Symptoms of Prostate cancer
Men who have trouble urinating may have to think of getting examined or tested.
Men who have the force in their urine decreasing in the stream of urine must watch it.
If you notice blood in your semen, it is advisable you go for a check with a doctor or a prostate cancer specialist.
Are you uncomfortable in the pelvic area? That could be a symptom
Pain in the bone is also a symptom of the disease.
Erectile dysfunction: having challenges maintaining an erection.
If you see any of the above, see your doctor and be screened. Remember early detection is better and easy to treat.
What factors can increase the risk of prostate cancer?
- Every man is at risk of suffering prostate cancer however, the older one gets, the more likely one may contract prostate cancer. The risk of prostate cancer has a direct relationship with age.
- Race also increases the risk of Prostate Cancer. Black men or people of black decent carry a greater risk of prostate cancer compared to other races. Research has revealed that black men suffer aggressive or advanced prostate cancer compared to other races.
- Family medical history can play a role is the risk of suffering from prostate cancer. If one’s family has the genes that increase the risk of suffering from breast cancer (BRCA1 or BRCA2), then men in the family are at a higher risk of suffering from prostate cancer.
- Eat healthy meals full of fruits and vegetables and avoid all the food that contains fat. This will improve your general health.
- Engage in daily exercise. There is evidence that, men who exercise have a lower risk of prostate cancer. Exercising will improve your general wellbeing. If you do not exercise regularly, this is the time to start and slowly learn to work out and improve on your health.
- Improve your health by maintaining a healthy weight. Get a good aerobics trainer or a doctor to help plan your weight reduction plan and set of activities and diet for you.
Prostate Cancer Centre in Ghana
In Ghana, one health centre that continuous to blaze the trail when it comes to the diagnosing and treatment of prostate cancer is MEDI-MOSES PROSTATE CENTRE
MEDI-MOSES PROSTATE CENTRE has won several awards locally and internationally. One of their products for the treatment of Prostate Cancer is Prostate, a natural herbal tea produced by the centre.