How to be a great Political leader does not come easy. It takes a lot of training, practice and the will power to grow into a leader and a political leader of high reputation.
How many Political Leaders exist today?
The world is full of people in leadership positions without leadership skills and training and so are there many in politics, holding political positions as leaders without a clue about who they are as leaders and how to go about providing the essential leadership needed.
Today, the world is choked with thousands of aspiring political leaders. Just a hand full of such persons may have the basic leadership skills for the post. This lack of true leadership mentality, and approach to leading accounts of several challenges that face countries and economies around the world.
Leadership is the problem of many countries the world over. The fact is any government that stinks of scandals, corruption and allegations of corruption has someone in political positions who lack what it takes to lead a nation.
Many politicians today, lack the most basic leadership qualities such as integrity and accountability. They come into power by mere popularity and cannot demonstrate their integrity nor accountability.
Today, the world over, a politician brings bad perceptions to mind.
What are the Qualities of Great Political Leaders
Political leaders must come to occupy such leadership positions with some qualities that will help them succeed.
- True leaders in the political landscape focus on long-term visions of their country, they invest into the future of the people sincerely.
- These leaders make great novel decisions that may not be popular. Such decisions are directed towards the sincere good and well-being of the people and the nation.
- Leadership in politics requires “Statesmanship”. Great political statesmen, stand for the right in thoughts, plan and deeds even if it means losing an election for taking the right decision.
- The best political leaders are often those who did not want to go into politics in the first place. They don’t want power but seek an opportunity to serve the people.
- If you want to go into politics because, people say you will make a good leader, ask yourself if you have the needed leadership qualities, and the right temperament. Are you ready for all the criticisms?
- If you are not loyal and lack integrity, reconsider the decision; because nations need such persons at the top to influence good decisions and help bring about nationwide attitudinal change in that direction.
- Just if you are not a good communicator who has good interpersonal skills, then reconsider the decision to go into politics. The world needs political leaders who can work with all manner of people, no matter their political affiliations and view-point.
- A political leader must be capable to resisting lures in politics that will force the politicians to be corrupt, act contrary.
- As a political leader, your charisma is your weapon but it must be used for the right deeds. Using your charisma to lead wrong doing is a crime and such attitudes don’t yield good results.
- You must be a person who is ready to make great and realistic decisions that are unpopular. Such decisions must always be for the greater good of the people.
These and many more qualities are essential if you want to be a great leader and a politician. These qualities can be developed and learned as well. Put your political leadership ambition on by finding out more and preparing your self.
Source: Wisdom Hammond | The leadership mentoring session