The safety of motorist and their vehicles at the filling station where they buy fuel has to be taken seriously. The safety of the driver, passengers, other pedestrians and the vehicle while at the fuel station to buy fuel must be the concern of all. Based on this, the National Petroleum Authority has come out with safety tips that should guide motorist at the filling station at all times.
Observing these tips before and after one has been served can ensure the safety and value for money.
The Safety tips are as follows
- The motorist must pull up at the pump island before his or her fuel tank is opened.
- Upon arrival at the pump island, kindly switch off your engine.
- Focus your attention on the display that shows the price keyed in by the attendant as well as the quantity of fuel. Ensure that, both are zero before your purchase details are keyed into the system to serve you.
- Request your litres of fuel in either cedis or litres equivalent or not in gallons. The later may be difficult to estimate using the pump. Do well to open your tank.
- Do well to cross check if the display indicates the volume or quantity in litres
- Do not use the mobile phone while at the filling station. Be attentive and be part of the fuel refilling process.
- Smoking at the four courts of the filling station is not allowed. Observe it. This is for the safety of everyone present including you.
- Do not buy your fuel at any filling station that has a RED STICKER from the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) embossed on the pump.
- Do buy your fuel at any filling station that has a GREEN STICKER from the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) embossed on the pump.
- If for any reason you feel something is not right with the pump or the service, report to the officer or supervisor or the manager at the post.
- You can also contact the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) via mobile number 0545006112 or 0545006112. The Vodafone toll-free number 080012300 can also be used or the Do not buy your fuel at any filling station that has a red sticker form the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) main landline 0302-766195/6.
- If the need arises, you can also send an email to the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) through email@example.com
Observing these basic tips by the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) will go a long way to improve on safety at all filling stations across the country.