How to setup and install WhatsApp on your WearOS smartwatch
While the stable version is expected to go official by the end of the year, the beta version of WhatsApp for Wear OS is already listed on the Google Play Store.
Google recently announced Wear OS 4 at its annual developer’s conference I/O 2023. Additionally, the company has also confirmed that Wear OS is the fastest-growing smartwatch platform in the world. Google has now partnered with Meta to develop WhatsApp for Watch OS, which will soon be available for the Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 5 series of smartwatches.
Wear OS 4 is available for the Galaxy Watch 4 and the Galaxy Watch 5 with a custom OneUI Watch 5 skin on top. The update will include all the new features and capabilities of the latest iteration of the watch OS.
While the stable version is expected to go official by the end of the year, the beta version of WhatsApp for Wear OS is already listed on the Google Play Store. Users who have access to WhatsApp beta on the Play Store can download and experience it on their smartwatches.
Here’s how to install WhatsApp on a Wear OS smartwatch
- Go to the Google Play Store and search for WhatsApp
- You will see an option “available on more devices”
- If you have an eligible smartwatch paired with your phone, you should see the same
- Click on the “Install” button, which will automatically download and install WhatsApp on your smartwatch
- If your watch has an active internet connection, then it will continue to receive messages, and you can also respond to them directly from the watch
Note that you can also sideload WhatsApp on your Wear OS-powered smartwatch. However, to do so, you need to enable the developer options and then wirelessly transfer the app to the smartwatch.